Mabuhay! Welcome to my den.

Friday, June 4, 2010

My Miniature Pinscher Maven


About six months ago, I bought this dog from a friend. He said that he couldn't keep her anymore because he was too busy preparing for the board exams (he passed the board exams, so I think 'twas a good decision). It's a miniature pinscher named Maven. She's a black and tan standard minipin. She was 5 months old when i got her. Maven was my third dog since i decided that dog breeding would be a good hobby, since I am very fond of dogs. I've got a pair of dachshunds before her- I'll tell you more about my dachs in a separate post.

Last april, she had her first heat (pre-oestrus cycle). Her vulva was enlarged in size and there was some flecks of blood. I asked my mother to bring Maven to her vet for a check up and smear test (I cannot bring her because I am here in KSA). I wanted her to have puppies already though I know that it is not yet the right age for her to mate, breed and have puppies. The right age for dogs is 2 years old, as they where saying. At that time, Maven was 8 1/2 months old. But still, asked my sister to find a good stud for her and she got one from San Pedro Laguna, half-hour away from our place, it was a black & tan micro-miniature pinscher. April 8, 2010 they brought Maven to San Pedro for the stud, there will be two sessions so we have to leave her there. Since dogs are territorial creatures, it is better to bring the bitch(female dog) to the place of the sire(male dog) because the male dogs would be quite uncomfortable if you would bring them to the bitch's place. April 10, 2010 was Maven's last stud session. After 61 days, puppies will come. I hope.

Last wednesday, June 2, they brought Maven to a vet clinic to have her checked. She had her x-ray and her vet told my sister that there are 4 puppies inside and Maven's expected due date will be any from the 10th-12th of June. Today, June 4 is her 55th day, they are now preparing the best place where she can whelp. In a week or less, she will give birth. I hope the puppies will all be healthy.


Maven's tummy on her 48th day (sorry for the picture)

Maven on her 56th day

2 comments: